Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bring on the Russians

Tonight, Team Canada faces the Russians in a showdown for the gold medal at the World Junior Hockey Championships. This tournament is by far my favourite part of the New Year. Forget the parties, the champagne, the resolutions and all that jazz, the real wonder of the new year is seeing our young hockey talent take on the world.

Living in Botswana makes it difficult, if not impossible to watch any of this tournament. For some reason (probably the lack of ice), the Batswana would prefer watching Arsenal vs Chelsea or a game of cricket (which by the way, I still don't understand. How can a game last for days????).

Every morning, since Dec. 26, I wake up desperately needing TSN.ca. It used to be pretty easy as my house had internet access, but with the recent move (which I will update everyone about soon) and the office closed for the holidays, I was left texting my father in Canada and begging people who have internet in this town to check the score for me.

What a relief to know we demolished the Americans on Monday. I tossed and turned all night wishing I could watch the game and made sure to get the score as soon as I could. Now I must get ready for tonight. Although the game will start at 1 a.m. my time, I'm sure I'll be awake, stressing about the result. I love this championship. I love it more than the Stanley Cup Finals. But missing out on this year's tournament is the price I must pay for wearing flip flops and a summer dress on New Year's Eve.

Tomorrow morning, when I get to work and load TSN.ca, I fully expect to see our Canadian boys wearing gold!

Go Canada Go!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment